Oh, April Fool’s Day, we have such a love/hate relationship. This day of shenanigans is when we can regress into childhood without being too harshly judged (or so we hope—what fun!) But it’s also the day where we can get tricked and teased (not as much fun).
So, let me regress and show you how to make the classic whoopie cushion. Yes, whoopie cushion.
The whoopie cushion has been delighting and embarrassing people since the 1930s. Be a true connoisseur of pranks and read this great New York Times article about the history of whoopie cushions before you tackle this project. Because some tricks will never get old. And if they do, you just wait 365 days and it’s new all over again!
* Two sheets of thin rubber
1. Cut two matching balloon shaped pieces from the rubber sheets (the shape is basically a circle with a triangle at the bottom).
2. Glue the rubber together leaving an opening at the bottom for air to escape.
3. Blow into the opening to inflate the cushion
4. Place the cushion on an unsuspecting family member’s chair.
5. Laugh, smile, and wait for it to be your turn. You never know…
Image via GregBurdine
BONUS: Who knew there was a Museum of Hoaxes? More good laughs and some inspiration await. Happy April Fool’s Day. Be safe!
Check out our new April and May titles: