Like Courtney, I’m pretty obsessed with finding the perfect idea for my Halloween costume each year. For me, the perfect Halloween costume:
1) Can be conjured up mostly using clothes and objects you already own.
2) Takes no more than one or two hassle-free hours to create (I refer to Sarah’s Halloween Disaster 2008: an incredibly unattractive handmade Rainbow Bright costume.)
3) Is totally unique & impresses upon my friends my extreme wit & crafty talent.
As such, face paint is my favorite go-to for creative, clever and EASY Halloween costumes. To prove my point, I will now present exhibits A-D: me as a clown (with my mom!), me as a a zebra, me as Elphaba from THE WIZ, and me as the girl in the moon.
In short, my best Halloween suggestion is to pair a great face paint idea with a solid black outfit; you’ll be out the door (and AWESOME) in no time at all. Here are a few fun ideas:
- Going with friends? Forced to take a foreign language in school? Pick a flag and greet everyone you meet that night in your “new” native tongue! Face Paint Idea: Flags! from About.com
- Ex-English Major? Graphic novel fanatic? Natalie Portman fan? This V for Vendetta costume is recognizable, clever and – best of all – seems super simple! V for Vendetta Face Paint Idea from Instructables.com
- Subscribe to the “less is more” mentality? Pucker up & check out these adorable lip-creatures. (Con: Definitely no kissing permitted with this face-paint idea.) Paige Thompson’s Face Paint Lip Animals via TheCraftBegins.com
- Are you a frustrated artist with a significant other and no shame when it comes to sappy, matching costumes? Look no further: Kissing Fishes Face Paint Idea from FunnyAsDuck.net
One more observation before I go:
HALLOWEEN COSTUMES IN AMERICA VS. ENGLAND: Whereas it seems to me that most popular American costumes are clever, funny or sexy, Halloween in England has a decidedly darker tone – British Halloween parties are filled with creepy, gross & disturbing apparitions. In other words, go dead or go home. A favorite go-to Halloween idea in the UK is to pair your run-of-the-mill costume (bride, firefighter, nurse, postal worker) with a ZOMBIE-FIED or POST-DEATHLY-CAR-ACCIDENT face paint. Nice twist, right? Try it yourself with this helpful Zombie Make-up Tutorial from About.com.