This month we sit down for a Q&A with sewing expert Cindy Cummins, author of Game Day. Cindy has been involved in the sewing industry for over thirty years—designing some of the first Serger patterns and writing numerous sewing books. She also started DIYStyle.net and leads Creative Chicks Productions, devising instructional and entertaining DIY sewing content for seamstresses worldwide.
1. What’s your craft? I love to sew, and have been sewing since I was young. Like many girls, I started with Barbie clothes and worked my way into sewing clothes for myself. I quickly learned that all my babysitting money could be turned into many more sewn outfits than my Mom could afford to purchase for me. Fast forward years later, I became a Serger sewing expert.
2. What project would you consider an all-time best? I don’t know that I have an all-time best project! I have sewn literally hundreds of items over the years— everything from lingerie, to swimwear, to bridal, to tailored clothing. If I had to pick something it would be from my early hand tailoring days, and a jacket that I created that won a prize in a Make It with Wool contest. I believe I was 18 at the time.
3. What project would you consider an all-time worst? Gee, I think all of us who sew have UFO’s (unfinished objects). Those would be pictures nobody wants to see—I’m sure of that. I know I have had several unsuccessful sewing attempts (I’m a pro with a seam ripper), so I can’t single any one thing out!
4. What tool or material could you not live without? My Serger(s). Notice the plural! Now that I specialize in knits sewing and Serging I would not know how to live/sew without a Serger!
5. What’s your hidden talent? I’m told I have great marketing vision and execution. Actually, I always tell people it is “smoke and mirrors” making everything look so good……lol! Seriously though it really helps to start with a great idea and bring it totally to fruition. Just like the Game Day book.
Fun and inspirational images from Game Day
Fleece is a super fabric available in a ton of colors, prints, and types—even team-licensed prints for favorite professional and university sports teams. And the time is right for a guidebook that addresses the super-easy sewing techniques needed to create your own “go team” spirit gear.
In Game Day, you will find over 50 easy projects designed for tailgating, kids, man’s best friend, and much more. You’ll always have something handmade to help you get your game on!
Buy the book now!